Annual Conference 2013
8th Annual Texas Conference on Health Disparities!
May 30-31, 2013
“Intersection of Smoking, HIV/AIDS and Cancer”
The Annual Texas Conference on Health Disparities has grown in participation and in prominence. With the 7th Annual Conference, held in July 2012, attracting nearly 400 participants from across the United States and as far away as Toronto, Canada. We have regularly hosted nationally recognized speakers and experts in health disparities who have provided examples of successful interventions to prevent and reduce health disparities.
The 8th Annual Texas Conference on Health Disparities, scheduled for May 30-31, 2013, will focus on disparities related to smoking, HIV/AIDS and cancer, which was based on input from community advisers. High risk health behaviors coupled with lack of timely cancer screenings leads to disparities in the affected communities. There is an urgent need for education/discussion in community programs for these Co-morbidities leading to health disparity.
Specific Aims 1: Enhance health disparity knowledge of the health care practitioners and policy makers.
- Contact minority community leaders in Fort Worth and North Texas and communities that URM campuses about the upcoming conference.
- Network with the State of Texas Office of Minority Health and Human Services to ensure that the minority community is aware of the outstanding opportunity to interact with recognized leaders at the conference.
- Enhance communication between health care practitioners and the Texas Center for Health Disparities (TCHD).
- Enhance communication between health care practitioners and TCHD.
Outcomes: Networking between racial and ethnic communities, health care practitioners and health disparity leaders speaking at the conference.
Measures: Increased participation of health care practitioners in minority communities and awareness of policy makers in the existing health disparities.
Specific Aims 2: Serve as a resource for the minority communities to disseminate health information, promote community participation in health education and research, and to implement disease prevention activities.
- Establish community liaisons with agencies and groups that work with health disparity populations.
- To partner with the community to reduce disparities in eye diseases by education the community about health disparities, encouraging the involvement of historically under-represented communities in research, and training community members to develop and disseminate culturally-tailored health messages.
- Work with programs that bring youth to UNT Health Science Center (UNTHSC) to provide them information on minority health and health disparities.
- Develop media relations to disseminate outcomes of health disparity research and new developments.
Outcomes: By the end of the conference, we expect to have evaluated appropriate programs that will be our partners for the implementation of the objectives of TCHD.
Measures: Successful identification of agency partners and academic partners; community health workshops; community outreach regarding women’s health and development of media relations.