General GuidanceIt is the policy of the University of North Texas Health Science Center at Fort Worth (“UNTHSC”) that no proposed, awarded, or ongoing UNTHSC Research shall be biased by any conflicting interests of UNTHSC Investigators responsible for the design, conduct, or reporting of that Research. The Research Conflict of Interest Policy is applicable to all UNTHSC Investigators and applies to all Research regardless of funding. The purpose of this policy is to assure objectivity in Research. Investigators are expected to make reasonable inquiry as to whether their relationships and activities fall within the provisions of this Policy. It is not the intent of this Policy to eliminate or prohibit all situations involving a potential conflict of interest. This Policy is intended to enable Investigators to recognize situations that may pose a conflict of interest, to report these situations to the Research Conflict of Interest Committee (“RCOI Committee”), and to ensure that the RCOI Committee reviews, supervises or monitors these situations, where necessary. An integral part of this Policy is an annual disclosure mechanism whereby Investigators regularly review their activities.
UNTHSC RCOI Training
Successful completion of the RCOI Conflict of Interest Training is required annually, and when:
- A new Investigator moves to the university
- The university finds that an Investigator is not compliant
- The university revises its RCOI policies or procedures in ways that affect Investigator compliance
Training must be completed prior to submitting a Disclosure Statement.
If you need a copy of your RCOI Training Certificate indicating successful completion of the RCOI Training, please click here. Your User name is your EUID.
Annual Disclosure Statement
Who needs to complete an Annual Disclosure Statement?
Anyone engaged in research at UNTHSC including, but not limited to, administrators, faculty, staff, post-doctoral fellows, students, interns, residents, collaborators, subcontractors or consultants whose institutional responsibilities include the design, conduct, or reporting of research, funded or proposed for funding.Federal regulations require the submission of an Annual Research Conflict of Interest (RCOI) Disclosure Statement. During the month of September, you have the opportunity to complete and submit your required Annual Disclosure Statement. Access to the required form is available at https://apps.unthsc.edu/rcoi. You will need to log in with your EUID (Ex: abc1234) and your network password. If you have forgotten your EUID and/or password, click here. Detailed instructions for completing and submitting the required Annual Disclosure Statement can be found here.
In addition, Investigators are required to submit an amended Disclosure Statement within 30 days of discovering or acquiring a new Significant Financial Interest or other potential conflict of interest. All forms are submitted through the Research Conflict of Interest Disclosure site at https://apps.unthsc.edu/rcoi . The Research Conflict of Interest Policy is intended to maintain the professional autonomy of scientists and physicians inherent in the self-regulation of science.
Collaborators, subcontractors or consultants that are not affiliated with UNTHSC can indicate compliance by either:
- Submitting an online attestation (click here) that they are in compliance with the applicable Federal Regulations including 42 CFR 50 and 45 CFR 94 (dated August 2012 or later) associated with Research Conflict of Interest and their Institution’s Conflict of Interest Policy, or
- Completing the required CITI Conflict of Interest (Research) Training and submitting the applicable Disclosure Statement. For more information regarding this option, please click here.
- UNTHSC Research Conflict of Interest Policy
- RCOI Standard Operating Procedures
- UNTHSC Annual Disclosure Statement Site
- UNTHSC Research Conflict of Interest Management Plan Documents Packet
- UNTHSC Research Conflict of Interest Committee
- NIH Financial Conflict of Interest
- Recognizing and Managing Personal Financial Conflicts of Interest
Contact Susan Harlin
This page was last modified on May 30, 2018