International Travel

Travel abroad with technical data, technology, software, or information controlled for United States export purposes is prohibited, and you will need a license or documentation of an exemption prior to the travel.

The University of North Texas Science Center at Fort Worth mandates that all faculty, staff, and students involved in international travel related to university business must adhere to the following steps.

        1. Obtain immediate supervisor approval for international travel related to university business.
        2. Register your international travel plans with UNT Denton by visiting the following link.
        3. Complete the International Device Checklist by visiting the following link.
        4. Submit the International Device Checklist to the Office of Research Compliance by contacting the Export Control Officer at

Travel to Sanctioned Countries

If you plan to travel to any of the countries that are the subject of US Sanctions to conduct UNT Health Science Center-related work or research or to present the results of UNTHSC-related work or research, you should consult with the UNTHSC International Compliance Officer to determine whether any restrictions will apply to your travel.  If a license is required, the International Compliance Officer can assist with that effort.  Licenses are required for many activities in the following countries: Cuba, Iran, Sudan, Syria, and North Korea, although this list is consistently updated.  If you plan to travel to any of countries, contact the International Compliance Officer.

Travel with HSC Laptops and Electronic Equipment

Researchers need to be aware that they are effectively “exporting” their laptops (tablets, ipads, phones, and other electronic equipment), as well as what data are ON the laptop’s drive(s) not only when they take their laptop outside of the United States, but also when they allow a person in a foreign country to use their laptop or allow a foreign national access to their laptops, even while in the United States.

Prior to traveling outside of the United States, travelers should complete the International Travel Device Checklist and forward the list to the UNTHSC International Compliance Officer.  The researcher should maintain a copy of the completed checklist on file for 5 years after travel.  If the researcher needs “clean” equipment for HSC-related travel to prevent an export violation, they should contact HSC Information Technology Services prior to travel.

You are prohibited from taking any export controlled materials/papers/reports on your laptop, or other device, outside of the US without an export license or valid license exception that is determined by the International Compliance Officer. Please pay special attention to the reports that you are submitting to your project managers and instructions that you are receiving from sponsor agencies:  the Department of Defense, Department of Justice, Department of Homeland Security, Department of Health & Human Services, Department of Energy, etc. Even if your research qualifies under the Fundamental Research Exclusion; these materials may be controlled for export purposes and not intended for public release.  Contact the International Compliance Officer to assess whether or not you may take these abroad.

The National Counterintelligence and Security Center has tips for traveling overseas with mobile phones, laptops, PDAs, and other electronic devices.

HSC Network Use

While traveling abroad, users must follow all policies, standards and guidelines of the UNTHSC Information Security Office when accessing the HSC network.

If you access the HSC network from an OFAC-sanctioned country, you may be in violation of current laws if you do not have an appropriate license for that activity.  These laws are emerging and any such activity should be discussed with UNTHSC Information Security and the International Compliance Officer.

Shipments/Transports Outside the US

To determine the applicability of export licensing requirements, you should review the following steps. If, after this review, you have any questions, please contact the International Compliance Officer. It is important to clearly identify what you are exporting, to whom you are exporting it, and the purpose for which it will be used.

What is it?

You should review the Commerce Department’s Commerce Control List (CCL) and the Department of State’s Munitions List (USML) to determine whether the item(s) you intend to ship are subject to export restrictions. Always check with the manufacturer of any item(s) you intend to ship to determine the proper classification.

If the item you intend to ship appears on either list, you may need a license.

Where is it going?

The country of the item(s) final destination determines the licensing requirements. Even if the item(s) you intend to ship are not on the CCL or USML, you may be prohibited from sending certain items to certain countries that are the subject of sanctions or embargoes, including the Western Balkans region, Burma, Côte D’Ivoire, Cuba, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Iran, Iraq, Former Liberian Regime of Charles Taylor, North Korea, Sudan, Syria, and Zimbabwe. You can check the current lists of all sanctioned or embargoed countries at:

If you are shipping to a sanctioned country, you may need a license.

Who will receive it?

The final recipient of your item(s) cannot be on any of the lists of individuals or entities prohibited from receiving certain exports. The United States publishes several lists of individuals and entities that are prohibited from receiving certain types of goods, including the Denied Persons List, the Unverified List, the Specially Designated Nationals List, the Entity List, and the Debarred Lists. Check each of these lists before proceeding with your purchase. Each list is available online in searchable form at

If the intended recipient of your shipment appears on one of these lists, contact the International Compliance Officer.

What will they do with it?

The end-use of your item(s) cannot be subject to the EAR’s general end-use prohibitions. If the materials, equipment, or technology are designed or adapted for a military application, or may be used in connection with or relate to the proliferation of weapons of mass destruction or terrorism, it is unlikely that you will be able to ship or transport those materials abroad.

If the end-use of your item(s) may be prohibited, contact the International Compliance Officer.

Red Flags

Check the Department of Commerce “Red Flag” list to identify possible violations of export control laws.

If any of these red flags apply, contact the International Compliance Officer.