Export Control Determination Request

Effective February 20, 2011, the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS) revised the form used for petition of temporary work visas, including the H1-B visa typically required for employ of foreign nationals.  The Form I-129, Petition for a Nonimmigrant Worker, has been changed to require any entity sponsoring a new foreign national worker via a H-1B, L-1, or O-1 visa (including UNTHSC) to certify that it has reviewed relevant federal regulations and determined whether or not an export control license will be needed in order to release controlled technology or technical data to the H-1B beneficiary (the sponsored UNTHSC faculty or staff member).

We have developed a review procedure that should ensure compliance and  not significantly slow the H-1B process.

Export Control Determination Checklist

Export Control Determination Certification

Questions regarding the use and filing of petitions for temporary work authorizations should be directed to the International Services Office (Leslie Crosdale). Questions regarding export control compliance should be directed to the Office of Research Compliance.