Lab Efficiency Action Program (LEAP)
The Lab Efficiency Action Program (LEAP) incentivizes labs to be more efficient and sustainable while prioritizing the integrity of the research. Labs can be awarded up to $2000 for participating! See the informational brochure here.
Why Have a Program like LEAP at HSC?
HSC is contributing valuable research to our community and the world, and the components of research such as equipment and supplies are extremely important. By implementing best practices, labs can extend the life of equipment and save time and money.
LEAP encourages safer chemicals and safety best practices. Furthermore, labs can reduce waste, save energy, and purchase more sustainable products all of which contribute to a healthier planet and healthier communities.
Labs use at least 3-4 times more energy than office spaces and generate significant amounts of waste. HSC can save money through behavioral changes in the labs which means more money can go towards education and research than operational expenses.
Steps to Certification
- REGISTER: Submit the completed registration form to HSC Sustainability.
- ORIENTATION: Sustainability will go over the program with your lab and answer any questions.
- COMPLETE ACTIONS: Complete the actions needed to achieve your desired certification level on the LEAP form (form will be provided to you after orientation).
- REVIEW: Submit the completed LEAP form. Sustainability will verify the actions during a lab visit.
- CERTIFICATION: Based on the number of actions completed, the lab will be awarded. You will receive an award plaque and funds to spend on sustainable lab equipment and supplies.
- RECERTIFICATION: Labs can recertify 1 year after their last certification and can be awarded a maximum of $3000 through the program. Contact HSC Sustainability for full details.
LEAP Certified Labs
UNT System College of Pharmacy
Pharmaceutical Analysis Core Lab
|Donna Coyle (Lab Manager)||LEAP Prime Gold||Awarded $1500 in 2017|
|Berg Lab||Rance Berg, Ph.D.||LEAP Prime Gold||Awarded $1500 in 2017|
|Biomarker Core||Sid O’Bryant, Ph.D.||LEAP Prime Platinum||Awarded $3000 in 2017|
|Clark, et. al. Glaucoma Lab||Abbot Clark, Ph.D.||LEAP Prime Platinum||Awarded $3000 in 2017|
|Jin Lab||Kunlin Jin, Ph.D||LEAP Prime Platinum||Awarded $3000 in 2017|
|Schreihofer Lab||Derek A. Schreihofer, Ph.D.||LEAP Prime Platinum||Awarded $3000 in 2017|
|Biomarker Core||Sid O’Bryant, Ph.D.||LEAP Prime Platinum Recertification||Awarded $1000 in 2019|
|Lipoprotein Drug Delivery Research Lab||Andras Lacko, Ph.D.||LEAP Prime Gold||Awarded $1500 in 2019|
|Su Lab||Dong-Ming Su, Ph.D.||LEAP Prime Gold||Awarded $1500 in 2019|
|Huang Lab||Renqi Huang, Ph.D.||LEAP Prime Gold||Awarded $1500 in 2019|
|Schreihofer Lab||Derek A. Schreihofer, Ph.D.||LEAP Prime Platinum Recertification||Awarded $1000 in 2019|
|Hodge Lab||Lisa Hodge, Ph.D.||LEAP Prime Silver||Awarded $750 in 2019|
|Kastellorizios Lab||Michail Kastellorizios, Ph.D.||LEAP Prime Platinum||Awarded $3000 in 2019|
|Emmitte Lab||Kyle Emmitte, Ph.D.||LEAP Prime Gold||Awarded $1500 in 2019|
|Genomics Core Lab||Nicole Hales, Ph.D.||LEAP Prime Platinum||Awarded $3000 in 2021|
|Yang Lab||Shaohua Yang, Ph.D.||LEAP Prime Platinum||Awarded $3000 in 2021|
|Yan Lab||Liang-Jun Yan, Ph.D.||LEAP Bronze||Awarded $250 in 2022|
|Center for Human Identification||Research & Development||LEAP Gold||Awarded in 2022|
|UNT System College of Pharmacy Pharmaceutical Analysis Core Lab||Donna Coyle, Lab Manager||LEAP Gold Recertification||Awarded $1000 in 2022|
|Emmitte Lab||Kyle Emmitte, Ph.D.||LEAP Platinum Recertification||
Awarded $1500 in 2022
|Ortega Lab||Sterling Ortega, Ph.D.||LEAP Gold||
Awarded $1000 in 2022
|MatLab||Keisa Mathis, Ph.D.||LEAP Gold||
Awarded $1000 in 2022
- Freezer Defrost Kit – Cleaning a freezer? We have a kit available which includes a mop and bucket, gloves, ice scraper/brush, coolers, and plastic containers. Contact HSC Sustainability to use the kit.
- Freezer Available for Defrosting – The Office of Sustainability has a freezer located in the corridor between EAD and RES on the 3rd floor to help with freezer maintenance. This freezer can be set between -20 to -80. If you would like to use this freezer, complete this form to request it.
- Financial Assistance for Efficiency Upgrade – Since 2016, we have offered financial assistance (between $1000 to $3000) to upgrade to more energy efficient freezers. THIS PROGRAM IS CURRENTLY ON HOLD.
- Freezer Monitoring – Facilities Management has sponsored the establishment of a campus-wide freezer monitoring system. We will be adding more monitors (free of charge to the labs) at the beginning of 2022. However, labs can add to the system at any time. Contact us to learn more.