This year Earth Day celebrates its 50th anniversary, and it all started when people demanded that we protect public health by protecting our natural resources. We will celebrate virtually with a theme of “coming together” even though we are apart. See below for ways to participate.
- Virtual Earth Day Celebration | Apr. 22-May 6, 2020 (anytime) | Let’s celebrate Earth Day together (but apart) during this time! You’ll complete 5 simple items to be entered in a drawing for a $25 Amazon.com gift card. Two ways to participate:
- Submit this completed downloadable form to firstname.lastname@example.org by May 6th OR
- Complete the online form available HERE by May 6th.
- UNTHSC Community Garden Harvest for Students |
Apr. 22 (Earth Day) at 10am at the gardenDue to weather, the harvest has been moved to Thursday, April 23rd from 1:30pm-2:30pm (3621 W 7th Street Fort Worth TX) | The garden will be harvesting and donating fresh produce for students in need for pick-up between 1:30-2:30pm (first come, first serve). If there is anything left after that time, it will be placed in the racks on the south side of the tool shed for anyone to take. More information about the garden can be found at unthsc.edu/communitygarden.
- Clothing Drive | Apr. 22-May 6, 2020 (anytime) at MET west driveway | World Wear Project collects various items for reuse or repurpose. The Environmental Conservation Interest Group, a student organization on campus, has arranged for them to work with our campus, and the group will receive $0.10/lb. collected. Items include clothing, shoes, belts, purses, backpacks, wallets, hard toys, stuffed animals, pots and pans. Items NOT accepted include furniture, knives, appliances, and items with glass. You can simply drive up and put your items in the receptacle (no contact with others is necessary).
- Earth Friendly Activities With Kids | Since we’re all at home a little more right now, do some eco-activities with your kids this month! We’ve come up with a list of 8 activities that can be done from home. Some of the activities include energy games, picking up litter, and practicing kindness. Please remember to practice social distancing and wash your hands when doing these activities. See the full list HERE! Also, here’s a link to some Earth-themed coloring pages.
- Virtual Upcycled/Repurposed Contest | Vote by May 6th | UNTHSC Students and employees submitted projects for this contest. To upcycle or repurpose is to make something new from waste material or an existing product. See the projects that were submitted and vote HERE by May 6th.
- Like us on Facebook or Follow us on Instagram for more ways to celebrate Earth Day and tag us with what you’re doing!
Cancellations or Postponements:
- Electronic Waste Recycling | RESCHEDULED FOR SEPTEMBER 2020 | Bring all your old electronics and more to this FREE e-waste recycling event. Click here to see what all is accepted. You can drive up the the MET loading dock, get assistance to help you unload, then be on your way.
- Earth Day Event | April 23rd, 11am-1pm in MET | For safety reasons, this event has been cancelled. We look forward to getting together in April 2021!
This page was last modified on April 28, 2020