Public Health Week to include wellness fair, health forum
The UNTHSC School of Public Health and the Public Health Student Association (PHSA) will host Public Health Week April 5 – April 11. This year’s theme is "A Healthier America: One Community at a Time."
Monday, April 5
- PHSA officers will provide presentations on "What is Public Health" to local high school students.
Tuesday, April 6
- A Health and Wellness Fair at Alumni Plaza will be held from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- A PHSA meeting with speeches by officers will begin at 4 p.m. in Everett Hall.
- Guest speakers at the meeting will include Epifanio Elizondo, PhD, PA-C, rear admiral, U.S. Public Health Service, assistant surgeon general and regional health administrator.
Wednesday, April 7
- A public health-related movie will be shown in Alumni Plaza from 8:15 p.m. to 10 p.m. In case of rain, the movie will be shown in Luibel Hall.
Thursday, April 8
- A North Texas Health Forum "Conversation with the Keynote Speaker" will take place in Beyer Hall (RES 114) at 2:30 p.m.
- A keynote address by Audra D. Robertson, MD, MPH, will begin at 6 p.m. at the Fort Worth Community Arts Center, followed by a buffet reception.
Friday, April 9
- The North Texas Health Forum will be from 8 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at the Forth Worth Community Arts Center, 1300 Gendy St.
- A cookout will take place at the Kimball Art Museum Field from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. Games will include soccer, Frisbee, jump rope and flag football.
Saturday, April 10
- An African-American Health Expo will be held from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at O.D. Wyatt High School, 2400 E. Seminary Drive.
By Steven Bartolotta In 2007, TCOM’s Dr. Rita Patterson and Dr. Jennifer Wayne, a professor at Virginia Tech, recognized the need for women in the field of bioengineering to meet together, network, mentor and increase the representation of women in the field. Thus the ASME Bioengineering...Read more
Jun 23, 2021
A growing trove of data to help scientists understand the biology of Alzheimer’s disease among diverse populations within the context of sociocultural, behavioral and environmental factors is now available through the Institute for Translational Research at The University of North Te...Read more
Jun 22, 2021
By Diane Smith-Pinckney The embroidery on Vic Holmes’ black scrubs identify him as a physician assistant and an ally to LGBTQ+ patients. The words, stitched under a rainbow-colored Caduceus pin and near his heart, read: “Vic Holmes, PA-C, He/Him/His, Family Medicine.” Pronouns are...Read more
Jun 21, 2021
By Sally Crocker Katie Pelch, PhD, wants you to know what’s in our environment and how the chemicals we’re exposed to every day may affect our health. Dr. Pelch is a part-time Assistant Professor, Department of Biostatistics and Epidemiology, in the HSC School of Public Health (SPH), where...Read more
Jun 21, 2021