Hispanic Wellness Fair provides health services to the entire community
The public is invited to a free Aug. 1 health and wellness event with special emphasis on back-to-school needs.
The UNT Health Science Center in Fort Worth is a founding sponsor of the Hispanic Wellness Fair, now in its 17th year. It’s organized by the Hispanic Wellness Coalition.
The fair caters to the needs of the Hispanic community but is open to all. It’s in a new location this year, Forest Hill Civic and Convention Center, 6901 Wichita St., Forest Hill, TX 76140.
The fair includes health screenings, children’s vaccinations, hearing tests, adult TdaP (vaccination for tetanus, diphtheria and acellular pertussis), mammograms, information on immigration physicals, a blood drive, exercise and healthy cooking demonstrations, and more.
The Health Science Center continues its tradition of providing several services at the fair. This year, those include:
- Blood-glucose testing provided by faculty and students in the UNT System College of Pharmacy.
- Bone-density screening provided by Mighty Care, a program for those over 50 who are Medicaid-eligible.
- Osteopathic manipulative treatment demonstrations by faculty and students in the Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine.
- Sports physicals and height/weight/body mass index provided by faculty and students in Family Medicine and Physician Assistant Studies
- Diabetes testing, oral health and fluoride treatment, height/weight/BMI by the Pediatric Mobile Clinic.
Spencer Septien, a fourth-year medical student in the Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine on the UNTHSC campus, has worked regularly at the fair. This year he will help perform free sports physicals.
He says, “I’m always excited for the Hispanic Wellness Fair,” he said. “It has so much to offer, not just for the Hispanic community but for everyone – everything from health screenings to education.
“Plus, it helps the community identify their own health risks, while also providing them with the needed services or guidance on next steps.”
More details on the fair, y en español:
- Hispanic Wellness Fair information
- Call 817-735-2784