UNTHSC Student teaching middle schools students in lab

Middle school students learn how to launch a health career

By Betsy Friauf   Call it Career Day on steroids. Students from Fort Worth public middle schools are spending part of their summer touring workplaces and universities all over the county to see various careers, on the ground in real time. They’re at the UNT Health Science Center this week. Over five days packed with…
Jacob Fripp with Drip Irrigation bucket

Conference aims to help community gardeners

By Betsy Friauf   You might not know it from this spring’s North Texas deluges, but water is a big issue. Globally, according to the World Bank and World Health Organization, a billion people lack enough water for basic needs. Most of Texas is momentarily drought-free. But frequent record rainfall events drop too much water in…
Campus Closed

Health Science Center to close July 4 for Independence Day observance

The UNT Health Science Center, all clinics staffed by UNT Health physicians, and the Fitness Center will be closed on Monday, July 4, 2016, for the Independence Day holiday. The Lewis Library will have abbreviated hours on July 1, 2, 3 and 4. Have a happy and healthy Independence Day!
Students in SIM lab at Camp Cardiac

Hands-on lessons in health care

By Jan Jarvis   After breaking a few teeth and struggling to get the tongue out of the way, Pritul Sarker, 15, successfully intubated his first patient. “It’s in the esophagus – oh, oh, oh!” the Canterbury Episcopal School student said. “I got it, I got it! I gotta get this on Snapchat.” Fortunately the…
Campus Closed

UNTHSC closed on Memorial Day

The UNT Health Science Center will be closed Monday, May 30 for the Memorial Day holiday. All clinics staffed by UNT Health physicians also will be closed in observance of the holiday. Regular clinic hours will resume on Tuesday, May 31. The Fitness Center will be closed May 30. The Lewis Library will have…
Patient Safety

New Institute for Patient Safety focused on making health care safer in Texas

By Jeff Carlton   A collaborative institute launching Tuesday at UNT Health Science Center will focus on patient safety problems and preventable medical errors, crises that contribute to 251,000 deaths annually in the United States. The Health Science Center’s new Institute for Patient Safety will take a lead role in professional and community education, research…
Linda Cunningham and Daniel Martinez Barrera

Going blue for a cause

By Jan Jarvis   These days Linda Cunningham’s blue ‘do makes her look like a character straight out of a Dr. Seuss book. “I’ve asked people which character they think I am ­­– Thing 1 or Thing 2,” said Dr. Cunningham, Associate Professor of Medical Education at UNT Health Science Center. Cunningham’s motivation for dying…
Pediatric Mobile Clinic staff with patient

Gifts keep Pediatric Mobile Clinic’s wheels turning

By Alex Branch   Obstacle after obstacle kept a 1-year-old Texas boy from getting regular health checkups. He lived with his grandmother, who neither speaks English nor drives a car. His family didn’t qualify for Medicaid, and his grandmother didn’t know where she could take him for wellness checks. The only time he received medical…

The last-place finishers of the Cowtown 5K

By Alex Branch This is the story of how the last-place finishers of the Cook Children’s 5K at Cowtown Marathon were actually the day’s biggest winners. Tekeshia Herring‘s 9-year-old son Judah was born with a condition that made his left arm shorter than his right one. He struggles to raise his arm above his head,…

UNTHSC staff member’s contribution featured in museum exhibit

By Betsy Friauf   Library staff member Tammy Gomez has been making performance-art history for decades. Now she’s helping preserve Fort Worth’s history. Gomez is among 12 of the city’s influential Latinas whose oral histories have been preserved in a project you can see and hear in March at the Fort Worth Museum of Science…