Graduation Instructions and Forms
Medical Sciences Students
Medical Sciences students who have not met all program requirements such as a 3.0 grade point average, completion of all course work, preceptorship, etc. will not qualify for graduation at the end of the Spring semester. 1) File for Graduation. Prepare the Medical Sciences Declaration of Intent to Graduate form in Microsoft Word and to the Office of Student Services (CBH-345) according to the date published in the Academic Calendar.Handwritten forms are not accepted.
2) Upon receipt of the Declaration for Intent to Graduate, the graduation fees collected by the institution will be assessed to your student account. You may pay these fees at the cashier’s window with cash, check or money order or you may pay online with a debit or credit card. Login to MyHSC to pay online.
3) Complete forms required by GSBS Administration by Friday, May 1, 2020:
Degree Candidate Information – not accepted until the week of April 27, 2020
M.S. and Ph.D. Students
1) File for Graduation Prepare the M.S. and Ph.D. Declaration of Intent to Graduate form in Microsoft Word and submit to the Office of Student Services (CBH-345) according to the date published in the Academic Calendar. If you have co-major professors, click here for the correct form. Handwritten forms are not accepted.
Upon receipt of the Declaration for Intent to Graduate, the graduation fees collected by the institution will be assessed to your student account. You may pay these fees at the cashier’s window with cash, check or money order or you may pay online with a debit or credit card. Login to MyHSC to pay online.
2) Plan Ahead Consult the Preparation and Electronic Filing of Dissertations, Theses and Internship Practicum Reports at UNTHSC for formatting instructions.
Set deadlines for yourself! Begin with the deadline for completing graduation requirements. Set your defense no later than one week prior to the deadline. This will give you time after your defense to make any corrections required by your advisory committee.
Contact each member of your committee AND your university member to determine a defense date that is agreeable to everyone. Contact your major department’s support staff member in charge of seminars/room scheduling to reserve rooms for both your seminar and defense.
At least one month prior to your defense, you must submit your Declaration of Intent to Defend form to the Office of Admissions & Services (CBH-345). If you have co-major professors, click here for the correct form. The information submitted on this form will be used to publish your seminar on The Daily News. You must have a room reservation confirmed to submit this form. If you need assistance with room reservations for your seminar/defense, please contact Susan.Rogers@unthsc.edu or Jacklyn.Crisp@unthsc.edu.
Two weeks prior to your defense, you must have a final draft of your thesis distributed to your advisory committee (including the university member). We suggest that you personally deliver a draft to each committee member. This gives you an opportunity to ask each member what kind of questions he/she will ask you in the defense.
Two weeks prior to your defense, contact your major department’s support staff member in charge of seminars and ask that flyers announcing your seminar be distributed, if that is a practice in your department. It is not necessary to post flyers as the seminar will be published in The Daily News.
3) Seminar and Defense Complete forms requiring committee members’ signatures and take them to your defense. If you pass the defense, the committee can sign the forms and you will not have to track them down at a later date for signatures. These forms include the Report of Final Comprehensive Examination (Defense) form and the thesis/dissertation signature page.
4) Complete Forms, Surveys, Etc.
Report of Final Comprehensive Examination (Defense) Form and Scoring Rubric
5) Upload Your Document If you are a student completing a practicum reports, thesis or dissertation, we archive your document both through the Lewis Library and UMI/Proquest. To upload with the library, you must use the UNTHSC Electronic Document Filing form in the list above. You will take a PDF of your document to the library and they will upload it for you into their system. You will upload your document to UMI/Proquest yourself. You are responsible for submitting an electronic document that is EXACTLY the same as that approved by your advisory committee. Click here to go to the UMI/Proquest upload site.
6) Schedule an Appointment Call the GSBS Office of Student Services at 817-735-2649 to schedule an appointment to turn in the required forms listed above. This insures that a staff member is available to collect and verify your documents.
This page was last modified on November 13, 2019