The University of North Texas Health Science Center participates in the William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan program which allows students to borrow loan funds directly from the U.S. Department of Education. Loans offered under the Direct Loan program include the Direct Stafford Subsidized Loan, Direct Stafford Unsubsidized Loan and Direct Grad PLUS Loan. Students information submitted in either of these programs will be visible online on the National Student Loan Database System Website (This information is also accessible to authorized agencies, lenders and institutions). Students can login with their FSAid to review any Federal Aid borrowed.
In order to apply for these loans, all borrowers must have completed a current 2017-2018 FAFSA application.
Direct Stafford Unsubsidized Loan
The Unsubsidized Direct Loan is not awarded on the basis of need. You are responsible for any accruing interest during in-school and deferment periods. Interest accruing during those periods may be paid or capitalized as agreed by the borrower and lender.
· Must be enrolled at least half-time in a degree-seeking program
· Not based on financial need
· Maximum eligibility combined with Subsidized Loan is $20,500 per aid year ($138,500 lifetime limit)
· Extended borrowing limits for Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine and School of Public Health students
· DL Unsubsidized Loans for 2017-2018 disbursed on or after July 1, 2017 will have 6% interest rate.
· Origination fee is currently 1.069% (After October 1st Loan Origination Fee will be 1.066%).
· 10 year repayment beginning after graduation or when student drops below half-time
· Entrance Counseling required for first-time borrowers at UNTHSC
· Master Promissory Note required for first-time borrowers at UNTHSC
Direct Grad PLUS Loan
- submit a request on the www.studentloans.gov website. For instructions on how to apply click Here.
- Grad PLUS Master Promissory Note (only for first time borrowers)
Grad Plus Information
- · Must be enrolled at least half-time in a degree-seeking program
- · Credit check required. If borrower is determined to have adverse credit history, he/she may obtain an endorser or appeal the credit decision.
- · Student may borrow up to his/her Cost of Attendance (minus any other financial aid awarded)
- · DL Grad PLUS Loans for 2017-2018 disbursed on or after July 1, 2017 will have 7% interest rate.
- · Origination fee is 4.276% (After October 1st Loan Origination Fee will be 4.264%).
- · 10 year repayment beginning 60 days after disburses or can be deferred until after graduation or when student drops below half-time
If a student withdraws, takes a leave of absence from all classes, or is dismissed, he/she may be required to pay back a portion of federal aid received. Students who received loans and graduate, withdraw, are dismissed, take a leave of absence, or drop below half-time must complete Exit Counseling for their loans.
Loan Calculators (scroll to bottom of new page)
This page was last modified on August 31, 2017