Christopher DeClerk, Director of Total Rewards, sent this email on September 28, 2016 to member of the Teacher Retirement System:
Paychecks issued October 3, 2016, will show an increased contribution to the Teacher Retirement System (TRS) by employees who are active members. The employee contribution increase will be from 7.2 percent to 7.7 percent of employee salary.
- This increase for FY17 was approved by the 83rd Texas Legislature in 2013. (SB1458, Page 9)
- The state (UNTS) contribution to active TRS members will remain 6.8 percent of the employee’s monthly salary.
- TRS manages a retirement plan for higher education employees. ERS manages health insurance benefits for higher education employees.
There are no contribution changes for Optional Retirement Plan participants who chose ORP within 90 days of becoming eligible.
- ORP contributions remain 6.65 percent of employee salary from employees and 6.6 percent of employee salary from the state (UNTS) for non-grandfathered employees.
- Certain grandfathered ORP participants who joined the plan prior to past administrative changes will receive the same 8.5 percent of salary state contribution.
To stay up-to-date with news, legislative-mandated changes and activities related to retirement, please establish a personal account with TRS and your ORP vendor:
- TRS (Teacher Retirement System of Texas)
- ORP – Contact your vendor and find retirement information.
- Learn more about an additional saving option, Texas$aver.