Texas Center for Health Disparities (TCHD) Request for Applications to participate in the Interdisciplinary Research Leader (IRL) Program 2021-2022
The mission of TCHD is to prevent, reduce and eliminate health disparities in our communities through research, education/training and community engagement. TCHD seeks, as one of its goals, to create opportunities for early-stage and junior investigators to engage with community partners to develop and conduct health disparity research. The Texas Minority Health, Education, Research and Outreach (Texas MiHERO) program, supported by an endowment award from the National Institute on Minority Health and Health Disparities (NIMHD), will expand the capacity of the institution to enhance research and research training in minority health and health disparities. To achieve this goal, the Texas MiHERO program conducts the Interdisciplinary Research Leader (IRL) program which provides grantsmanship, mentorship and networking opportunities for the participants. We are currently soliciting Letters of Intent (LOI) from interested applicants to participate in the IRL program.
• Selected candidates will be designated as IRL Fellows
• Salary support for participation
• Grantsmanship training, Mentorship and coaching towards academic advancement
• Leadership training
• Year 1: Grantsmanship and mentorship training
• Year 2: Leadership training
A. Research Focus Area: Investigators will develop their research programs in minority health and health disparities research. Research focus areas aligning with the NIMHD research framework (NIMHD Research Framework (nih.gov) are encouraged.
B. Meeting the Faculty Eligibility Criteria: Junior Faculty (Independent faculty appointment within 6 years) or Early State Investigators as defined by NIH.
C. Submission of LOI Components by the due date:
• Terminal Degree:
• Terminal Degree Award Date:
• Faculty Rank:
• Appointment (Tenure Track/Non-Tenure Track):
• Years at HSC:
• Research Area:
• Research Interest Statement (Describe your current and future research ideas that you would like to work on to apply for extramural funding, 1,000 words maximum):
• Do you use animals in research? Yes/No
• Do you use Human Subjects research? Yes/No
Due Date: October 25th 2021, 5 PM
D. NIH Biosketch: Attach NIH biosketch using the current template.
E. Current/Pending Support: Attach NIH Current and Pending Support document using the current template.
Please E-mail items C to E in a single document to TCHD@unthsc.edu by 5 pm on October 25th 2021.
For questions or clarification, please contact TCHD@unthsc.edu or Riyaz.Basha@unthsc.edu or Harlan.Jones@unthsc.edu