Announcements

HSC Scholars in Cancer Research
September 14, 2021
 

Funding Announcement

Cancer Prevention and Research Institute of Texas (CPRIT) awarded funding for HSC’s Training programs developed by the Center for Diversity and International Programs.

CPRIT Award Details:
Title: HSC Scholars in Cancer Research
Duration: 5 years
Total costs: $3.87 million

Programs Supported:

• Osteopathic Scholars in Cancer Research (DO/PhD): Supports the students enrolled in DO/PhD program during their time in research. Students must conduct the research related to cancer and health disparities.
o 2 new students each year. Total: 10 over 5 years. Each student will be supported for 2 years (stipend: $28,000/year; tuition: up to $6,000/year; Travel: $1,000/year; Research supplies: $2,000/year)

• Graduate Scholars in Cancer Research (PhD): Supports the students enrolled in PhD program. Students must conduct the research related to cancer and health disparities.
o 2 new students each year. Total: 10 over 5 years. Each student will be supported for 2 years (stipend: $28,000/year; tuition: up to $6,000/year; Travel: $1,000/year; Research supplies: $2,000/year)

• Postdoctoral Scholars in Cancer Research: Supports the postdocs conducting research in cancer and health disparities.
o 2 postdocs in each cohort. 4 postdocs in 2 cohorts over 5 years. Each postdoc will be supported for 30 months (salary: 60% matching the 1st year postdoc’s NIH compensation; Travel: $2,000). Mentors must match remaining 40% of the salary.

• Clinical Cancer Research Scholars: Supports the students in Clinical Cancer Research Scholars Program conducting research in the area related to cancer/health disparities.
o 4 students each year. Total: 20 scholars in 5 years. Each student will be supported for 1 year (stipend: as per HSC compensation policy; tuition: up to $6,000/year; Travel: $1,000/year; Research supplies: $2,000/year).

• Summer Scholars in Cancer Research: Supports the undergraduate students to conduct research in biomedical sciences, cancer/health disparities, learn state-of-the art technology and advancing the cancer research.
o 10 each year. Total: 50 scholars in 5 years. Each student will be supported for 8 weeks in summer (Total covered cost per student including hotel, meals and sustenance: $6,000; Research supplies: $500).

Project personnel:
PI:
Dr. Jamboor K. Vishwanatha

Co-PIs:
Dr. Riyaz Basha
Dr. Rance Berg
Dr. Bruce Bunnell
Dr. Harlan Jones
Dr. Stephen Mathew
Dr. Michael Smith
Dr. Albert Yurvati

Senior Administrative Coordinator:
Roda Cotanay

This award is to promote the underrepresented minority (URM) students in cancer research. Eligibility is not restricted to URM students. All students can apply, selection will be made depending on the application pool. We request the faculty to contact Rodelita.Cotanay@unthsc.edu, if you have eligible students or willing to serve as mentors to support the students to be enrolled in these programs, please let us know. Please provide your interest in specific program. It will allow the Co-PI responsible for that particular program(s) to follow up with you with further details.

Jamboor K. Vishwanatha, Ph.D.
Regents Professor and Vice President
Founding Director, Texas Center for Health Disparities
Principal Investigator, National Research Mentoring Network
Center for Diversity and International Programs
University of North Texas Health Science Center
3500 Camp Bowie Blvd
Fort Worth, TX 76107
817-735-0422 (Phone); 817-735-0695 (Fax)