HSC guidelines: protocol
HSC Event Strategist & Protocol Officer and Campus Curator Shea Patterson Young is responsible for three essential campus processes – events, protocol and public displays/campus art.
Shea provides consultation across the campus to ensure HSC events correctly represent the HSC brand and our mission, vision, purpose and values.
Protocol is the official procedure governing affairs of state or diplomatic occasions: the established code of procedure or behavior in any group or organization in a particular situation.
Adhering to protocol guidelines is paramount at HSC. As University Event Strategist and Protocol Officer and Campus Curator, Shea provides services to make sure your special events follow the correct protocol.
When do you need protocol help?
• When you plan to invite an elected official or military guest to campus or to HSC events.
• When you plan to invite members of the UNT Board of Regents or UNT System Leadership to HSC events.
• When international guests visit campus.
• When collaborations/MOUs with businesses or foreign or local universities are involved.
• When you are planning an HSC trip abroad.
Protocol is important to create a successful and memorable experience for HSC guests and to protect HSC’s reputation. To ensure proper protocol, Shea provides customized guidance specific to each situation, which can include:
• Appropriate greeting, title use.
• Appropriate dress.
• Business etiquette.
• Suggested gifts.
• Potential tours.
• Information on cultural taboos.
• Assistance with precedence list.
For assistance, please contact Shea at Shea.PattersonYoung@unthsc.edu or 817-735-0301.
Ultimately, protocol is about respect and honor. People take pride in their status, title, accomplishments and their culture. We want to honor those people; treating them accordingly is important. It can make or break partnerships. Providing the right environment is our responsibility. We do this by being informed, considerate and thoughtful. Each guest visit or meeting gives us an opportunity to highlight all the things that make us proud to be part of the HSC team and part of the Fort Worth community.