The U.S. Department of Labor announced on May 18 a new rule regarding overtime compensation for businesses and organizations of all types, including universities.
Here is the published rule:
When the new rule takes effect on Dec. 1, 2016, a number of team members who currently are in executive, administrative and professional positions will become eligible for overtime.
• The overtime exemption salary threshold increases to $47,476 annually from $23,660 annually.
• We are in the process of determining the impact to jobs at all locations.
• The overtime exemption rule will be in effect beginning with our November 27, 2016, payroll cycle, which meets the national implementation deadline of December 1.
Human Resources and the Office of General Counsel have formed a task force representing finance, training, IT and communications from all locations to guide how we implement the new rule. Task force meetings are in progress and these areas are being addressed:
• Identification of impacted positions.
• Training to help supervisors understand and communicate changes.
• Necessary technical modifications in record keeping, Payroll and the Employee Information System (EIS).
• Financial impact and management of budgets for FY17 and beyond.
• Changes in campus and department cultures.
Beginning in September, we will provide additional information and schedule learning/training sessions for managers and staff.
For questions or comments, please feel free to contact Campus HR Teams,
or the Total Rewards team, total.rewards@UNTsystem.edu