Using VoiceThread in Canvas
What is VoiceThread anyway?
VoiceThread is an application integrated with Canvas that allows users to create presentations, post comments, and share content.
VoiceThread is a totally web-based application that allows you to place collections of media like images, videos, documents, and presentations at the center of an asynchronous conversation. A VoiceThread allows people to have conversations and to make comments using any mix of text, a microphone, a webcam, a telephone, or uploaded audio file.
In addition to a single user, a VoiceThread can be made by a group of users. Users can write (or doodle) on the media while commenting, can utilize multiple identities, and can choose which comments are shown in the slideshow.
VoiceThread is also a very simple method for adding audio to your presentation slides. You upload the slides into VoiceThread and use the easy audio tools to add your narration and comments.
The video below provides an overview of the VoiceThread tool:
Types of VoiceThread (VT) Links
There are four different ways you can add VoiceThread to your course site – Course View, VT Home, Individual Link and a VoiceThread Assignment.
Course View and Home Link
The Course View displays VoiceThreads that have been shared with your course.
The Home area displays all of a single users VoiceThread content. This includes all VT’s that you own (have created) or have been shared with you. Creating a Home Link in your course is necessary if you or your students will be creating VoiceThreads.
The video below discusses adding Course View and Home Links to your Canvas course site.
The basic steps for adding a Course View or VT Home links include:
- Navigate to the “Modules” area of your course.
- Find the module to which you’d like to add VoiceThread or create a VoiceThread module.
- Click the “Add Content” button.
- Select “External Tool” from the menu.
- Select “VoiceThread” from the list of tools.
- Title the link (Course View or Home).
- Save and return to the Modules area.
- Click your newly created link.
- Open VoiceThread and select the correct VoiceThread area to create the redirect for your VT link.
Individual VoiceThread Links
Every VoiceThread you create has a unique link. This link can be shared with users in a course or outside the institution for review purposes.
The video below discusses how to locate and use an individual VT link.
For more information on sharing VoiceThreads, review the following:
Creating a VoiceThread Assignment using Assignment Builder
If you would like to assess students on creating, commenting, or watching a VoiceThread, you will need to create a VoiceThread assignment.
The video below discusses adding a VoiceThread assignment to your Canvas course.
Note: If you want to use a Canvas rubric for the assignment, you must add the rubric before setting the External Tool submission type. Create the assignment with any other submission type, save the assignment, add the rubric, and then edit the assignment to select the External Tool and VoiceThread.
The basic steps for adding a VoiceThread assignment include:
- Click the Assignments button in your course navigation menu.
- Click the + sign to add a new Assignment.
- Choose New Assignment and put in an assignment name.
- Enter assignment information and the number of points the assignment is worth.
- Click the dropdown menu for Submission Type and select External Tool.
- Click the Find button and choose VoiceThread from the list.
- Click to Save.
- At this time, VoiceThread will either load or prompt you to load it in a new tab.
- Select Assignment Builder.
Within Assignment Builder, you will be given three options.
- Create a VoiceThread Assignment
- Click Create Assignment and choose whether or not you want students to be able to resubmit.
- Submit a Comment Assignment
- Select or Create the VoiceThread that you want students to comment on.
- Click Create Assignment and choose your options. Moderate Comments will allow instructors to see comments on the VoiceThread but will NOT allow students to see each others comments.
- Watch a VoiceThread Assignment
- Select or Create the VoiceThread that you want the students to watch.
- Click Create Assignment and choose your options.
For more information in grading student work in VoiceThread, review: Grading Student Work
You may also wish to provide student this VoiceThread guide: Submitting VoiceThread Assignments
Creating a VoiceThread
To learn how to create a VoiceThread from your Canvas course site, review the video below.
You may also wish to review:
For additional information, consider reviewing: Using VoiceThread in Canvas