Canvas runs on Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, or any other device* with a modern web browser.
Supported desktop browsers include:
- Chrome 79 and 80
- Firefox 72 and 73 (Extended Releases are not supported*)
- Edge 79 and 80
- Respondus Lockdown Browser (supporting the latest system requirements)
- Safari 12 and 13 (Macintosh only)
You should always use the most current version of your preferred browser. Your browser will notify you if there is a new version available.
Canvas no longer supports Internet Explorer (10 & 11), you are highly encouraged to use Chrome, Safari, or Firefox for the best user experience. When using a browser that does not support the minimum requirements for Canvas, you will receive a message prompt “your browser does not meet the minimum requirements for Canvas”.
Read more information at Which browsers does Canvas Support?
Canvas requires the following browser components:
- Flash is required for media recording, streaming, viewing, and uploading.
- The Java plug-in is required for several features in Canvas.
- Adobe Acrobat Reader is required to view documents in your browser.
To test if your browser is compatible with Canvas, please visit the UNT Health Science Center Canvas login page.
- Windows 7 and newer
- Mac OSX 10.10 and newer
- Linux – chromeOS
Computer Hardware Requirements
You are required to have use of a computer system with the following specifications and components**:
- Use a computer 5 years old or newer when possible
- 2 GHz processor or faster
- 1GB RAM or greater
- 80 GB hard drive or larger
- Cable/DSL broadband connection or better
- 1024×768 or greater resolution monitor
- Video card
- Sound card with speakers
- CD-ROM drive
- Inkjet or laser printer
- Computer microphone
- A web camera capable of video web conferencing
While Canvas is supported on Android and iOS mobile devices, it is optimized for desktop displays. Since Canvas uses flash, certain features may not be available to you on your mobile device. Using your desktop to submit assignments, discussion posts, and take quizzes is highly recommended.
*As of January 5, 2019, Android apps require version 5.0 or later and iOS apps require version 12 or later. All Android and iOS both support the two most recent versions of their respective operating systems.
Read more information at What are the basic computer specifications for Canvas?