A globally-recognized leader in forensic identification
The Center for Human Identification (CHI) laboratory is located on the campus of the University of North Texas Health Science Center at Fort Worth and is accredited by ANSI National Accreditation Board (ANAB) to the ISO/IEC 17025:2017 standards for Forensic Testing and Calibration Laboratories. CHI also maintains compliance with the FBI Quality Assurance Standards for Forensic DNA Testing Laboratories and DNA Databasing Laboratories. CHI has maintained ISO17025 accreditation since 2004. The scope of accreditation is limited to the following activities: Biological screening, forensic DNA testing including autosomal STRs, Y- STRs, and mitochondrial DNA testing.
What We Do
- Perform forensic genetic and anthropological examinations for criminal casework and missing persons identification
- Manage local CODIS Operations
- Manage the Texas Missing Persons DNA Database
- Train students and professionals in various aspects of forensic genetics
- Improve forensic identification capabilities through innovative research
- Serve the State of Texas on various initiatives
Submit Forensic Cases and Samples
UNTCHI reports in a simplified report format. By submitting evidence to the Forensic or Missing Persons Unit for analysis, the customer has agreed to receive simplified reports.
Effective June 1, 2020 UNTCHI will resume services.
- The laboratory will be operating with limited staff, and, thus prior to submitting evidence, you must contact the Evidence Handling Unit for instructions regarding the number of cases that can be submitted.
- All in-person evidence deliveries or pick-ups must be scheduled in advance.
- All visitors will be required to wear a face covering (e.g., mask) when visiting the laboratory. Please continue to monitor our website for updates.
- The contact number for the Evidence Handling Unit is 817-735-0606 or toll free at 1-800-763-3147.
We appreciate your understanding and support during the COVID-19 National Emergency.
CHI @ HSC will be closed December 26, 2022, through January 1, 2023
Our lab and offices will be closed for business from December 26, 2022, through January 1, 2023. Our last day to receive packages before the break is December 14, 2022. Please do not mail or deliver any evidence and/or samples after December 14, 2022. Also, be advised that no evidence or samples will be picked up and/or returned during this time. We will resume normal business hours and acceptance of samples on January 2, 2023. For any submission or return of evidence/samples in person, please contact our office to schedule an appointment.
HSC Center for Human Identification
CBH, 6th Floor
3500 Camp Bowie Boulevard
Fort Worth, TX 76107
Phone and Fax
- Local: 817-735-0606
- Fax: 817-735-0553
- Toll-Free: 1-800-763-3147
- Toll-Free Fax: 1-800-221-3515