Published: May 12, 2020
Around the nation, older adults make their marks every day as volunteers, employees, employers, parents, grandparents, mentors, and advocates. They offer their time, talents, and experience to the benefit of our communities.
For 57 years, Older Americans Month (OAM) has been a special time to recognize these contributions. Led by the Administration for Community Living (ACL) each May, OAM also provides resources to help older Americans stay healthy and independent, and materials to help communities support and celebrate their citizens.
This year’s OAM theme, Make Your Mark, highlights older adults’ unique and lasting contributions to their communities—everything from sharing a story with grandchildren to leaving a legacy of community action. In the spirit of this theme, HSC – Center for Geriatrics would like to say ‘THANK YOU‘ for sharing your wisdom, and the great impact you have made on the world around you.
Communities that support and include all their members are stronger! Please join HSC in strengthening our community! Need OAM resources or want to learn more? Visit the official website, acl.gov/oam, and follow ACL on Twitter and Facebook.
Looking for some at-home entertainment during Older Americans Month?
Explore these virtual entertainment options below and share with friends and family!
- Click here for a list of Museums, Zoos, and Theme Parks offering virtual tours.
- Google Arts & Culture has teamed up with five national parks in the U.S. so people can enjoy the beauty of the natural world while sitting safely on their couch. They are also offering virtual tours and online exhibits for over 2,500 museums and galleries around the world. Click here for a virtual museum experience.
- The Metropolitan Opera is streaming encore performances of some of its most famed shows to the public — and it’s all completely free.
- Cirque du Soleil is offering an escape from everyday life through the delight and whimsy of their shows. They are doing their part to spread joy, even from afar, directly to your safe spaces.
- Enjoy a blast from the past with these celebrity singing impersonations!