Workers’ Compensation

Workers’ Compensation procedures at UNTHSC are managed by Human Resources.

The Texas State Employees’ Workers’ Compensation Program pays for medical treatment and lost wages for state workers who are injured or become ill as a result of their work. Coverage is provided at no cost to the employee and employees are not required to sign-up for this coverage.

If you experience a medical emergency and need emergency care, you should immediately contact your supervisor and seek treatment from the nearest hospital emergency room or emergency care facility.

Employee Action Steps

Notify your Supervisor immediately.

If you become injured and it is not an emergency, find a provider in the CareWorks network for treatment. With the exception of emergency care, employees who live within the network’s service area are required to obtain medical treatment for a work-related injury from a network provider. Inform your health care provider that the injury may be covered by workers’ compensation provided by the State of Texas.

Submit the required paperwork listed below, whether or not you seek medical treatment or miss time from work due to your injury.

Medical Treatment

  • Employees who experience a work-related injury are required to seek medical treatment from an approved network treating doctor in the CareWorks Managed Care Services network.
  • All referrals to a specialist must be submitted by the approved network treating doctor.
  • Services provided by an approved network treating doctor or other approved network health care providers will be paid for by the Texas State Employees’ Workers’ Compensation program. Except for emergency care, you may be required to pay the bill if you get care from a doctor or provider who is not in the CareWorks Managed Care Services network.
  • You can also seek initial treatment at our on-campus Priority Care Clinic located in the Health Pavilion. Call 817-735-CARE (2273) for more information.

UPDATE: Workers’ Compensation Health Care Network Information

Effective February 1, 2020, the workers’ compensation provider network has been replaced by CareWorks Managed Care Services.

  • Go to
    – Click on “Find A Provider” – top Right corner of home page.
    – Choose Careworks TX HCN from menu of plans/networks.
    – Choose tab “Address Search” (there enter TX for state and the zip)
    – Select distance in miles: 1, 2, 5, 10, 25, etc.

For Provider Type, choose “Treating Providers” then click on Find Providers button at the bottom.


  • Notify your Campus HR Representative of any employee injuries no later than 24 hours after the first notice of injury.
  • If your injured employee is unable to report the injury on their own, please contact your Campus HR Representative or call 817-735-2690 for assistance.
  • Make sure the Workers’ Compensation packet is completed and returned to your Campus HR Representative no later than three (3) working days after the first notice of injury.
  • You must notify your Campus HR Representative within 24 hours if the injured employee:
    •  is unable to work after the injury
    •  returns to work with/without restrictions
    •  has a change in earnings during a pay period
    •  dies, resigns or is terminated

Nearby Urgent Care Providers

Employees are not required to use the urgent care providers listed below for initial treatment. Not all urgent care providers are within the Health Care Network. They are listed in order of proximity to the UNTHSC campus for your convenience.

2700 Horne St, Suite 100
Fort Worth, TX 76107

Nova Medical Centers
1106 Alston Avenue, Suite 120
Fort Worth, TX 76104

This page was last modified on April 28, 2022