What are education records?
- Records — handwriting, print, computer, videotape, audiotape, film, microfilm, microfiche or e-mail – of an institution that
- Contain information directly related to the student and
- Are maintained by an agency or institution or party acting in its behalf.
- Education records do not include:
- Records/notes in sole possession of maker not accessible or revealed to any other person except a temporary substitute
- Medical records
- Employment records when employment is not contingent on being a student, provided the record is used only in relation to the individual’s employment
- Records created and maintained by a law enforcement unit used only for that purpose, is revealed only to law enforcement agencies of the same jurisdiction, and the enforcement unit does not have access to education records
- Information on a person that was obtained when no longer a student (i.e., alumni records) and does not relate to the person as a student
This page was last modified on June 10, 2015