International students are required to carry health insurance the entire time that they are in the United States. In addition, they are also required to carry coverage for medical evacuation and repatriation. All students at the University of North Texas Health Science Center will be automatically enrolled in the Student Healthcare Insurance Plan, provided by Aetna.
Effective Fall 2014, all international students will be required to purchase and maintain the University of North Texas Health Science Center Student Healthcare Insurance Plan through Aetna. There will be extremely limited ways that students can waive this requirement. I have outlined eligibility for a health insurance waiver below. Students must meet one of the following criteria below:
- Have a government sponsored insurance plan provided by the student’s home government that is funding the student’s studies and cost of living while attending UNTHSC
- Have health insurance coverage through a U.S. employer group policy
- Be a dependent on a spouse or family member’s policy through a U.S. employer group policy
The cost of the Student Healthcare Insurance Plan will be billed with tuition as part of student fees. The student will be enrolled in the coverage unless they provide an insurance waiver form. Aetna has coverage for medical evacuation and repatriation. All non-immigrant visa holders are required to have this coverage.
If you meet the criteria, to avoid being financially responsible for and enrolled in the Student Healthcare Insurance Plan, an insurance waiver must be submitted by the twelfth class day with official documentation proving that the criterion is met.
Medical Evacuation and Repatriation Requirements
• Policy written in English
• Repatriation insurance coverage of at least $10,000*
• Evacuation insurance coverage of at least $7,500.*
*If your plan does not include repatriation and evacuation, but meets all other criteria, a separate policy covering repatriation insurance may be purchased.
For more information, visit the Student Affairs site.
This page was last modified on March 11, 2015